2 Week Itinerary for Cambodia
Because of its ancient ruins in Siem Reap and beautiful beaches on Koh Kong, Cambodia is becoming a top destination in Southeast Asia. Whether you are backpacking through Asia or only on a two week holiday, Cambodia has a bit of everything for everyone. This 2 week itinerary will help guide you in seeing all the best that this country has to offer. *This guide is geared towards backpackers but can help anyone plan their trip through Cambodia.*
Phnom Penh - 2 Days
The capital city offers many sides that you might not realize when you first arrive. It seems like another bustling Asian city with tons of taxis, motorbikes, food stalls, trash on the streets, lively bars and everything in between but beyond that is the tragedy and painful history left over from the Khmer Rouge.
- Visit the Killing Fields
- Learn about the tragedy at S21 Genocide Museum
- Central Market
- Stroll through Riverside, or Sisowath Quay
- Watch the sunset at The Palace (closes at 5pm)
Kampot - 2 Days
This quaint riverside town is small enough to travel around by foot but is always better on a motorbike. It's relatively cheap to rent a motorbike and it will help you can easily see everything that this town has to offer as well as visiting Bokor Mountain and Kep, the neighboring town for some delicious crab.
- Relive your childhood with the thrilling water park at Arcadia Hostel
- Rent a motorbike and drive through the Bokor Mountain (waterfalls and abandoned buildings)
- Eat blue crab at the Crab Market in Kep
- Visit the butterfly garden and pepper farm in Kep
Otres Beach - 1 Day
This is a hit or miss with many visitors because the areas isn’t the nicest or developed but does offer a decent beach, arguably the best beach on this stretch. Therefore, you can choose to skip this if you'd like but if you do want to spend a bit of time here, make sure you head to Otres Beach 2, it’s the nicer one.
- Lay out on the beach drinking smoothies
- Dine at the Otres Market
- Attend the Jungle Party that happens every 2 weeks
- Swing over to Serendipity to booze it up at famous backpacking party bars
Koh Rong Samloem - 2 Days
Being the smaller of the two islands, it is also a calmer party spot so you can find many quiet bungalows to have a day or two of down time but if you're up to it, you should head to Mad Monkey hostel because its breathtaking views is coupled with a lot of good fun. You need to arrange with the hostel a ferry pick up time because the normal ferry will not take you directly to their private beach.
- Stay at Mad Monkey Hostel (beautiful private beach and great fun at night)
- Take a short boat ride to Saracen beach
Koh Kong - 2 Days
This is the bigger of the two Koh Rong islands and worthy of a visit for a couple days. There is limited hotel/hostel presence online so the best option is to find one once you get on the island. There are plenty so don't worry about not have a place to sleep but make sure the room as a fan or A/C.
- Enjoy nightly fire shows on the beach
- Venture out to Long Beach
- Party your hearts out!
Battambang - 1/2 Day
Although it seems like a small town, Battambang is the second largest city in Cambodia. It has a good mixture of city and country life so you can experience both sides of Cambodian life while visiting here. The fun comes from riding on the famous bamboo train, watching millions of bats fly from their caves, and exploring the countryside.
- Rent a motorbike and check out the area around the town
- See millions of bats fly above you at sunrise
- Ride the famous bamboo train
Siem Reap - 3 Days
Siem Reap one of the most popular tourist destinations in Southeast Asia. Many flock to Siem Reap to admire the amazing temple ruins of Angkor Wat and enjoy the lively atmosphere of the city.
- Sunrise at Angkor Wat (1 day, 3 day tickets)
- Party it up at Pub Street
- Buy, eat, drink, haggle at the Night Market